Add log4net:Identity to the output window and filter list

May 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Currently only log4net:UserName is shown.

Since this is (in my opinion) always the Windows user this info is not realy useful.

When logging Web Applications the User is visible in the log4net:Identity field so this field shoud be shown instead/additional the UserName field.

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2011 at 2:44 PM

This can be an option. Showing the UserName can seem not very useful when reading one log file. But the application is able to merge multiple files to help understanding a bug. In this cas knowing user name can help.

As I said, on the other side this information is not always useful (just looking at one log file), and if you look at Web app log, sure, Identity can be more helpful. So, perhaps it will be a good idea to offer an option to chose which "identity" is displayed, UserName or Identity.

Perhaps someone in the team is interesting adding this feature ?

Developer
Jun 1, 2012 at 4:16 PM
Edited Jun 1, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I added this in a matter of minutes when modifying my own copy of the original CodePlex project. 

I'd be more than willing to add this support, but I need to be on the project first ;-)

In the meantime my local version will have this added in, waiting for commit rights.

Another necessary (imo) piece of data is NDC. I wonder if this this not always included in output?
In my (web) app, we set NDC to the SessionID when logging. This way, multiple requests/log entries for the same session can be grouped together. The UserName/Identity is not always a fine enough level to see a given unit of work that needs troubleshooting.

Developer
Jun 11, 2012 at 1:17 PM
swtrse wrote:

Currently only log4net:UserName is shown.

Since this is (in my opinion) always the Windows user this info is not realy useful.

When logging Web Applications the User is visible in the log4net:Identity field so this field shoud be shown instead/additional the UserName field.

This has been added, as well as the NDC