LogViewer for log4net database

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:59 AM
Edited Sep 7, 2010 at 6:10 AM

I've modified the source code to allow for loading LogEntries from a sql database with linq. I use AdoNetAppender to log my messages on a remote server, so I needed a way to view those messages in real time. It seems to work just like it would with a file but some fields are missing since the database doesn't have all those fields by default. I'm wondering if anyone else could use this. I have not contributed to a codeplex project before, so I'll need some guidance on how to share my code if anyone wants it.

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:51 PM

I was about to do the same, I prefer logging to a database as we have multiple applications and wanted a single repository for logging.

Coordinator
Jan 28, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Hi,

thanks for your comments.

The ability to use another input format for the log file (such as a database) will be a good enhancement.

Either you participate, joining the project, or you can send me your code with some comments so I can study how to merge it in the future release.

Joining the project is meaning working on it for a while not just one modification, so if you do not plan to help more, just send be your code.

(mail : odahan *a.t* gmail *d.o.t* com)

thanks.

Developer
Feb 28, 2011 at 3:24 PM
Edited Feb 28, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Hello Everyone, I'm looking into the possibility to join this project subject to to the project owner accepting. However I wanted to know if the above with the new enhancement had been uploaded into codeplex? JohnFly/TheMicister?

By the way I have downloaded the latest source code .NET 4, however upon loading it its not loading up the project correctly and complains about source control. Whats the min to load this project up. Do I have to connect as a min with course control even just to look at the source code.

Cheers

Feb 28, 2011 at 11:34 PM

No, I never did get around to making it more than just a hack for my own purpose.

Developer
Mar 1, 2011 at 1:58 AM
wonderdelight wrote:

Hello Everyone, I'm looking into the possibility to join this project subject to to the project owner accepting. However I wanted to know if the above with the new enhancement had been uploaded into codeplex? JohnFly/TheMicister?

By the way I have downloaded the latest source code .NET 4, however upon loading it its not loading up the project correctly and complains about source control. Whats the min to load this project up. Do I have to connect as a min with course control even just to look at the source code.

Cheers

zahir one of the devs had the same problem and this is what he did

1. Opened the .csproj file in Notepad and removed the following lines

<SccProjectName>...</SccProjectName>
    <SccLocalPath>...</SccLocalPath>
    <SccAuxPath>...</SccAuxPath>
    <SccProvider>...</SccProvider>

2. Connected to TFS server and opened the solution.

3. Bind the solution to TFS.

You can check the link for more details http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/tfsversioncontrol/thread/01e89840-1e9d-4c5a-8049-e4949c04c609

Regards,

Zahir Khan

Developer
Mar 1, 2011 at 2:00 AM
themicster wrote:

No, I never did get around to making it more than just a hack for my own purpose.

If you don't mind can you share what you modified so that we can try and integrate it to the main code base.

Developer
Mar 1, 2011 at 2:06 AM
wonderdelight wrote:

Feel free to join the project. Your request will goto the project coordinator for approval.

Coordinator
Mar 2, 2011 at 9:55 PM
wonderdelight wrote:

Cheers

Hi,

I added you to the dev team, so you can access the project private area.

If you have any problem with the source control of original code, perhaps do you need to install turtoise on your computer ? Or you can also use AnkhSvn that is also free and that integrates within VS.

Mar 30, 2011 at 7:17 AM

Hi,

Was checking the code for a sideproject of mine and steped onto a possible bug :)

Correct me if im wrong :)

In private void mergeFile_Click(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)

if (log.IsDebugEnabled)
                {
                    log.Info("Loading file " + t);
                    loadFile(t, true);
                }

Load file is executed only if debug is enabled

Did not test the code, so dont know if its a bug

Just for info

Developer
Apr 8, 2011 at 3:50 AM

Hey Andrei

Thanks for the head's up. I will see if that is the case.

Apr 13, 2011 at 7:00 AM

Hi,

One more thing (Maybe it helps someone to save some time)

I had some problems with themes ( this.ApplyTheme("ExpressionDark");), Mybe i did not include the template correctly, but there is a workaround, if you dont have The templates installed.

The problem was that the program was looking for template fail in the last dir where i included a log file.

I save my log files in a different dir then my program is located, so after opening a log file from a log dir program waslooking for the xaml template from the log dir. And i got exeptions and the themes where not included for the filte and help (Probably for all new windows)

So the workaround.

I copied the wanted template "Theme.xaml" to my project.

Removed all the

this.ApplyTheme("ExpressionDark");

Now there are 2 possibiilities

1. If you use App.xaml startup put the Theme Resource here (There are examples in google (Dont have this version anymore :( ))
    <Application.Resources>
resource here
</Application.Resources>

2. Since my log viewer is opened via a winform (External program) i need this this workaround
I add
            this.Resources.MergedDictionaries.Add(
            Application.LoadComponent(
                new Uri("Theme.xaml",
                UriKind.Relative)) as ResourceDictionary);

To the constructor :) of the LogViewer.xaml.cs

Messy text but maybe it helps someone.

Developer
Apr 30, 2011 at 2:09 AM

@andrel

Regarding the theme issue, I was working on it making a menu item on the help screen to help load a theme dynamically from a given directory. It's halfway when my day work kicked in big time. I will commit what I have in couple of days so that one can change the theme dynamically.

Developer
Mar 7, 2012 at 6:02 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.